How can you afford to offer lower fees than the big names in tax preparation? It’s really quite simple. Our overhead is much lower. The big national services have to pay several levels of managers and they also spend a lot more money on advertising than we do. Yes, we do advertise, but the majority of our business comes from returning clients and from “word of mouth” advertising.
Do you quote prices? Unfortunately, it is impossible to quote prices without actually seeing what needs to be done. Even then, there are many variables that can crop up in the interview process. As a result, it is our policy to NOT quote fees at all, whether over the phone or even face to face. We do understand, however, that clients want to be sure that they are being charged fairly so we do provide the following information:
- Our fees generally run at least 10% to 15% less than the national chains and most CPA firms. It is not at all uncommon for new clients to experience savings of 20% to 30% and sometimses even more.
- We guarantee new clients, in writing, that our fee will save them at least $40 ($20 for 1040A or 1040EZ) over what they paid any of the following tax return preparers for their previous year’s tax return:
- Any preparer who prepared the return as an employee of any of the three largest national tax preparation firms, or
- Any Certified Public Accountant, or
- Any other person enrolled to practice (an EA) before the IRS.
- Not valid with any other offer. Valid for returns filed in our office only. When you come into our office, please bring in a copy of your most recent tax return, prepared by any other preparer, as well as the receipt or other evidence of the amount of your payment.
Do you offer discounts to Senior Citizens? While we do not offer discounts to Senior Citizens, we do a number of things for Senior Citizens at NO charge to them. Here are some examples:
- Prepare the Schedule R, Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled.
- Prepare the Simplified General Rule worksheet that affect only retired individuals.
- Prepare the Social Security Benefits worksheet that only affects those receiving Social Security.
- Enter the information from the Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefits reporting form.
- Prepare the worksheet for computing the deduction for the Virginia Senior Citizens.
These items represent a savings to the Senior citizen of up to $44.00 depending upon which forms or services apply to the individual.
Do I need an appointment to come see you? NO. Appointments are not required but are strongly encouraged in order to help you to avoid waiting.
Can I just drop off my information and pick up my completed return later? YES! Our goal is to have every drop-off return ready within two business days.
What does it mean when you say you are the “Best of Portsmouth”? Every year the Virginian-Pilot newspaper offers its readers the opportunity to select the company they believe offers the best service and value to their city. For the last eleven (11) consecutive years, our clients have voted Heritage Income Tax Service, Inc. as either the Gold winner or the Silver Winner in the “tax service” category for “Best of Portsmouth”. For the last six (6) consecutive years, they voted us the Gold Winner, #1 in Portsmouth! Thanks to all our wonderful clients! We owe it all to you!
What are your hours? Our tax season hours (From Mid-January – April 15th) are 9AM – 7 PM on Monday, Tuesday, & Thursday; 9 AM – 6 PM on Wednesday & Friday; and 9 AM – 5 PM on Saturday. Later evening and Saturday appointments are available. We are closed on Sundays.
What are your off-season hours? Our off season hours are in effect from April 16th until mid-January. Although we are here almost all day, every day, our regularly scheduled hours are Monday through Thursday from 9 AM until 1 PM. We remain available for appointments, Monday through Saturday, days and evenings, year round.
Are you closed any holidays? YES, we are closed on the following holidays:
- Memorial Day (May 27, 2913)
- Independence Day (July 4 & 6, 2013)
- Labor Day (September 3, 2013)
- Columbus Day (October 14, 2013)
- Veteran’s Day (November 11, 2013)
- Thanksgiving Day (Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday) (November 27, 28, 29, 2013)
- Christmas Holidays (December 23 – 27, 2013)
- New Year’s Day Holidays – (December 30 – January 3, 2014)
Do you offer electronic filing? YES! And at NO extra charge when we prepare your tax return. Unfortunately, we do NOT offer electronic filing for returns we do not prepare ourselves.
Do you offer Refund Anticipation Loans? No. Because refund loans are so expensive, we encourage our clients to consider one of the other less expensive payment alternatives that we do have available.